New Build Project
Join us in an exciting initiative serving an area of significant urban deprivation in the poorest 10% of England. The estimated total cost of the project is £1.5 million.
In 1931, the Church of the Good Shepherd was established to serve a planned new community in Rossmore. The church, the first building in the area was a ‘temporary’ wooden building constructed on the corner of Herbert Avenue and Stanfield Road. Over the decades since then, it has been the heart of the local community, serving the growing local population in the name of Jesus in a wide variety of ways.
The original church building was supplemented in 1949 with a hall and rooms, which are used by a large number of church and community groups for a wide range of activities for people of all ages. The church’s founders probably never imagined that the original building would survive as long as it has! But the ravages of time are affecting both the church and hall, and the buildings are becoming increasingly difficult and expensive to maintain.
To serve the community effectively into the future, the parish is planning a new building, in partnership with the Diocese of Salisbury. After investigating all options for the future, we have decided to construct an all-new building which combines excellent church and community facilities, serving the local area for the rest of the 21st century and beyond. The plans include a worship area which is also suitable for other gatherings, a hall of similar size to the old one, served by a fully-equipped kitchen which also has a hatch to a foyer/coffee bar, a meeting room, office, toilets, storage and a 20 space car park.
The planning application has been approved by the Borough of Poole.
'Unless the Lord builds the house, it's builders labour in vain.' Psalm 127:1